March 17, 2012

Can one prayer make a difference in places like Sodom and Gomorrah?

Background: During the heat of the day Abraham sat by the door to his tent, shaded by the oaks of Mamre. Suddenly he saw three men appear out of nowhere! Jumping to his feet, Abraham hurried to greet the unexpected guests and offer precious water for them to drink and bathe while his wife Sarah prepared a fine meal.

When the men (or, more likely, angels) finished eating, they delivered a message from God, saying the elderly couple would give birth to a son within a year. Sarah laughed to herself at the thought, but one of the visitors heard and asked, “Is anything too hard for the LORD?”

Rising to leave, the heavenly beings looked on the city of Sodom. Outcries from there and Gomorrah screamed of the need for something to be done about unjust, perverse, and perverted ways. As the angels headed toward Sodom, God remained with Abraham, telling him what to expect:

“And Abraham came near and asked, ‘Will You really sweep away the righteous with the wicked? Suppose fifty righteous people live in the city. Will You sweep them away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous? Surely You would not do such a thing as slay the righteous with the wicked, so they both get the same treatment! Surely the Judge of all the earth must be just!’

“So the LORD said, ‘If I find fifty righteous people in Sodom, I will spare the city on their account.’

“And Abraham replied, ‘I have spoken to the Lord even though I am only dust and ashes! But suppose the fifty righteous lack five. Will You destroy the whole city because of those five?’

“And the LORD said, ‘I will not destroy it if I find forty-five there.’

“Then Abraham spoke to God again and said, ‘Suppose only forty are found?’

“And the LORD said, ‘I will not destroy it on account of the forty.’

“Then Abraham said, ‘Oh, LORD, do not be angry, and I shall speak. Suppose thirty are found?’

“And God said, I will not destroy it if I find thirty.’

“And Abraham said, ‘Since I have dared to speak, LORD, I must speak again. Suppose twenty are found?’

“And God said, ‘I will not destroy the city on account of the twenty.’

“Then Abraham said, ‘Oh, LORD, do not be angry, and I shall speak only this once more. Suppose ten are found?’

“And God said, ‘I will not destroy it on account of the ten.’ As soon as they had finished speaking, the LORD departed, and Abraham returned to his home,”
Genesis 18:23-33.


But ten could not be found.


Question: What does this Bible prayer show us about the patience of God and the Lord’s willingness to listen? What place has God placed on your mind?

Prayer: LORD God, sometimes the daily news screams of injustice and evil! Please give me Your prayers to pray for this country and every scary area of the world. Forgive me for those times I thought an act of disobedience would not matter to You or anyone else. Give me the courage to stand up for the godly values You have given in the Golden Rule, the Ten Commandments, and the words of Your holy word. Help me to bring Your prayers and Good News to bad news places where the people do not seem to even have a prayer.

~~

© 2012, Mary Sayler, all rights reserved.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

A joyful prayer of Habakkuk

  Habakkuk 3:17-19   Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and no grapes huddle together on the vines…. Even though olive crop...