March 17, 2012

Lot prays for a place to run and hide

Background: The people of Sodom had become so ungodly that God did not find even ten upright citizens throughout the entire city! Although Abraham’s nephew and family lived there, Lot may have sensed that he did not belong, or maybe he hoped to change the current conditions. Regardless of his reasons, he was sitting at the main gate – the traditional hang-out for city leaders – when he saw the approach of two of the angels who had just visited Abraham and Sarah.

Immediately, Lot hopped up, eager to offer the visitors fresh water, food, and a place of rest as, unbeknown to him, his uncle Abraham had done earlier. The angelic beings agreed, but later that evening, all of the men in Sodom – young and old – gathered around Lot’s house and demanded that he send out the two visitors, but instead, Lot came out– one man against the whole crowd.

Trying to reason with the unreasonable mob, he begged, “Oh, please, brothers! Do not give my visitors such terrible treatment!”

“Man!” the angry crowd yelled at Lot. “You came to our town as an outsider, and now you’re acting like our judge! Enough! We’ll treat you worse than those visitors you’re hiding!”

Before the crowd could attack though, the two angels snatched Lot inside, bolted the door, and blinded everyone outside! The next morning, as soon as Lot and his family had enough light to travel, the angels seized them by the hand and rushed them outside the city, telling them to run for their lives without looking back.

The mountains looming ahead must have seemed scary, dark, and wild to Lot, and so he prayed:

“’Oh, please, no, my lords! You have been kind and gracious and saved my life, but if I go to those mountains, I’m doomed to die! See that village over there? It’s close enough for me to reach. Please, let me escape to that little place, and my life will be saved.’

“’All right,’ one of the angels said. ‘I will grant your prayer, and I will not destroy that little place, but you must hurry, for I cannot do anything until you safely arrive.’ And so the village was named Zoar (which means little place),”
Genesis 19:18-22.


Questions: How well can a person of principles fit into any place or among any group of people who do not know God?

Apparently, the people of Sodom thought Lot was judging them, which made them furious, but was he? Or was he standing up for the values in which he believed?

The people of Sodom showed no regard for human rights, which, in this case, ignored even the rights and treatment of angels! Does anything like that happen today? What problems, large or small, occur because one person or group does not respect the life of another? Could this be the cause of bullying, gangs, and wars?

The angels visited Sodom to put an end to the wickedness there, but they told Lot that they could do nothing until he’d gotten completely away from the destruction sure to follow. Wow! What power! What control!

Does protecting Lot show a lot about God?

Prayer: Dear Most High God, I praise You for your almighty power, mercy, and love. Thank You for protecting me, as You did Lot, even when I’m not aware of Your shield around me. Help me to stand up for my beliefs and Your values. Thank You for giving me what I need to obey You and go where I need to go.

~~

© 2012, Mary Sayler, all rights reserved.

~~










No comments:

Post a Comment

A joyful prayer of Habakkuk

  Habakkuk 3:17-19   Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and no grapes huddle together on the vines…. Even though olive crop...