December 15, 2012

When praise is a sacrifice

Hebrews 13:15 speaks of a “sacrifice of praise,” and on this sad day following the tragic shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut, the phrase seems especially significant as does this Psalm of faith in the readings for today.

Psalm 30

O LORD, I lift Your Name in praise
as You have lifted me away
from those intent on hurting.

O LORD our God, I cry to You:
Restore my well-being!

I feel as though I’m dead today,
but LORD, You will restore
my life from this lifelessness.

Let’s sing to the LORD,
every one of us who is His servant.
Let’s give thanks for the holiness of God.

Even when anger flashes all around,
God loves each child beyond each lifetime.

Yes, we have spent the night weeping,
but in the morning, joy just might be found.

Once I thought nothing could ever hurt me again.
I said, "I won’t be disturbed. God favors me
with the strength of a mountain.”

But then You hid Your face!
And fear filled me.

I cried out to you, O LORD,
and said, “What good is it
if goodness goes to hell?
Will dust praise You and Your faithfulness?”

Hear us again, O LORD.
Have mercy upon us, Your people.

O LORD, be our helper.
Turn our wailing into dancing.
Take up our mourning
and dress us in joy.

Help our hearts to sing to you
without ceasing, O LORD our God.
Help us to give You thanks for ever,


even if we have nothing to bring now
but this sacrifice of praise.

© 2012, Mary Harwell Sayler
poem prayer-a-phrase of Psalm 30





























1 comment:

In the Amen of Jesus

  2 Corinthians 1:20 – “In Christ, every promise of God finds its ‘Yes!’ And also through Him is our ‘Amen!’ for the glory of God through us...