May 25, 2021

A prayer of Lamentations

The Bible makes it clear that God’s people will face hardships and suffering, yet we’re to continue to appeal to God in prayer. Not surprising then, many Bible prayers in Psalms and elsewhere are laments. Even less surprising is that the book of Lamentations expresses honest prayers of lament! Notice, however, that this and other bewailing prayers end with thanks, praise, or acknowledgement of God’s goodness.

 

Lamentations 3:55-58 – a prayer of God’s people
from the King James Version of the Bible (KJV)

I called upon thy name, O Lord,

out of the low dungeon.

Thou hast heard my voice:

hide not thine ear at my breathing,

at my cry.

Thou drewest near in the day

that I called upon thee:

thou saidst, Fear not.

O Lord, thou hast pleaded

the causes of my soul;

thou hast redeemed my life.

 

From the Book of KJV Prayers - actual prayers from the King James Version of the Bible (KJV) collected by Mary Harwell Sayler, ©2019 

 

Lamentations 3:55-58 – a prayer of God’s people
compiled from many translations on Bible Gateway
 

Out of the lowest pit, I call on Your Name, O Lord,

and You have heard my voice.

Don’t conceal Your ears from my prayer, my cry for help!

When I called on You, You told me, “Do not be afraid.”

You stood up for me, O Lord, and pleaded my cause.

You’ve redeemed my life.

 

From the Book of Bible Prayers – actual prayers of the Bible collected from a variety of translations researched on Bible Gateway then paraphrased into everyday English by Mary Harwell Sayler, ©2019.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Amen of Jesus

  2 Corinthians 1:20 – “In Christ, every promise of God finds its ‘Yes!’ And also through Him is our ‘Amen!’ for the glory of God through us...